Friday, May 31, 2013

Blaptica dubia And Feeding Time At The Beardie Enclosure

Here is a short video of my Bearded Dragons wolfing down some Blaptica dubia (Guyanan Orange Spotted Roaches). Bear with it, the quality gets better after 15 seconds or so. They are working on the third share that I gave them within about a 10 minute time span. As you can see they go for them with gusto - no mustard, ketchup or relish required.




Blaptica dubia are supposed to be one of the more nutritional feeder insect species available on the commercial pet food market. They are easy to keep and fairly easy to breed. I just received a shipment of 1,000 of them today. My previous purchase was made back in late February, also a thousand lot. As you can see, even though I fed them to my beardies, Crested Geckos, Mossy Gecko and water turtles, they lasted quite a long time - even with the Bearded Dragons wolfing down many of them at each feeding. As for the Crested Geckos, I feed the roaches, of appropriate sizes to my adult crested geckos all the way down to newborn cresties. I also have a single New Caledonian Mossy Gecko (Rhacodactylus chahoua) who loves them as well. Today he polished off an adult male Blaptica dubia which was one heck of a feat considering the roach was about 1/3 to 1/2 his size. That first order of roaches lasted as long as it did because they were breeding just about all along. I did eventually get down to what was probably my last 50 of them or so because I was not really trying to establish a long term breeding colony and because I was feeding the roaches to my herps faster than they were reproducing. Thus their numbers fell to the point that I had to place another order few days ago.

All the best,
GB

No comments:

Post a Comment