Friday, May 31, 2013

Crested Geckos - Some New Additions

I had a couple of new crested geckos hatch out over the past two days, on May 29th and the other on the 30th. They are each about 3 to 3.25" long and both were from eggs that were on the somewhat smaller side. They seem to be doing well and are spending time in a nursery tank together. They will be getting a diet of mango and peach flavored baby foods, Repashy Crested Gecko Meal Replacement Powder, crickets and roaches along with daily misting for hydration. I also have six eggs left in the incubator including three new eggs as of earlier this past week. 

Although I have kept Crested geckos on and off over the past few years, it still amazes me how easy it is to care for them and to breed them if you can maintain the right temperatures for them. I keep mine in the basement where the year round temperature probably does not deviate more than 4 degrees either way from 70 except during longer hot spells when it may go into the low eighties. (in which case the CG tanks get moved into the finished basement room with the air conditioner.)Other than watching the temperature, I keep the humidity fairly high by daily mistings, use a substrate that holds moisture (I use cypress mulch), have plenty of hiding places for them in their enclosure, give them food on a daily basis and clean the tank about weekly (or sooner if their droppings are on the glass).

There is a chance I will have these or others on display tomorrow in the LIHS's exhibit at the Cold Spring Fish Hatchery and Aquarium's Reptile & Amphibian Appreciation Day. Hope to see you there. I should definitely have some tortoises, turtles and a couple of bearded dragons, if not these or some other geckos too.

All the best,
Glenn B

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your hatchlings are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I love their colouring! Do you still have them?
    I'm wondering what difference it makes when fired up and fired down. Are they any brighter when fired up?

    I'd love for you to check out my blog on Crested Geckos. I think you'd love my own cresties.

    ReplyDelete