Monday, August 18, 2014

Herp News: Now That Was One Big Gator

It was 15 feet long and weighed in at 1,011.5 pounds. In fact, it has been reported as the largest alligator ever taken in the state of Alabama. I keep using the past tense because it was taken by hunters, during Alabama's alligator hunting season, and now is pretty much a memory (probably lots of photos, maybe several dinners and a few suitcases and who knows - maybe it will be mounted).

I have fished and hunted (collecting trips) for herps in swamps down south. While I have been mindful that I may encounter an alligator (or even a crocodile in some locations in Florida), and have encountered several - even some large ones, I have never really been concerned about running into a monster sized one like that. While I have always exercised a respectful amount of caution, I guess that the next time I am in the Everglades or maybe the Dismal Swamp, I will be a lot more cautious. Wow, that was a big one and I sure would hate to be the guy in the headlines if one like that grabbed hold of me cause chances would be it would be the last story ever about me.

See this article for a bit more info: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/18/15-foot-1000-pound-alligator-captured-in-alabama/

All the best,
Glenn B

No comments:

Post a Comment